29 July, 2012

soggy bread

So, this surgery thing is really difficult, just in case you were wondering. There's no doubt that I'm learning a lot and having some really unique experiences, but at the end of the day I do not feel at all inspired. Check that field of specialties off my list.

I've been doing my best to take care of myself, making vegetables and sleep a priority while other things (the same gym bag has been in my car for 3 1/2 weeks) fall by the wayside. I'm also multitasking and working at my desk while eating, which is less than ideal. Fortunately Ian comes home today [huge smile on my face], so that should help with that.


That is soggy bread on my salad - delicious and highly under-appreciated. There are so many things that you can do with stale bread, and this is my favorite one in the summer, as compared to using it in soups or a panade. I have always been a fan of soggy bread. One of my favorite meals growing up was my mom's pot roast. Part of my love for this dish definitely had to do with the fact that after we all had our share of meat, potatoes, onions and carrots, my Dad would go get a loaf of bread, set a slice in the center of his plate, and pour the cooking juices over it. And I would always follow suit. Just thinking of that salty, soggy, gooey bread makes my mouth water.

I bought a loaf of bread at the farmer's market early in July, but barely ate half of it before it began to get too hard and crusty. So I cut it up into cubes and stored them in a plastic bag in the fridge. Whenever I want to add some to a salad, I put a handful into a bowl and cover them with water to soak while I prepare the rest of the salad. Then I squeeze the water out of them, add some olive oil & vinegar, add them to the salad, and top off with a bit more oil & vinegar. I know few people that need encouragement to eat more carbohydrates, but this is really tasty and some days you just need that extra caloric energy.

In the salad pictured above: arugula, heirloom tomato, edamame, feta cheese, soggy bread, fresh basil, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt & pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...